Week 5 – Instructions

With a family of five I’m always trying to get the most for my money. I get excited when I find a way to cut costs and save a little. One of the ways I have found to cut costs in by making my own seasonings. It does cost a little up front to collect the spices will need to make your special seasonings from scratch (if you don’t already have them) , but when you compare it to the cost of buying the prepackaged seasoning mixes you will find that you actually save money in the long run.

Here is an easy, recipe for taco seasoning. Who doesn’t love tacos!

Taco seasoning

• 1/4 c. chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cumin
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tbsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. pepper

Mix all these ingredients together and then put into an old spice container. This makes around 6 to 8 taco meals.

Break down on savings  (Alaska prices):

• Chili Powder $.30
  • Onion Powder $.10
  • Garlic Powder $.10
  • Cumin $.08
  • Oregano $.08
  • Paprika $.05
  • Salt $.05
  • Pepper $.05
  • Total $.81 vs. $1.10 store bought

Now $.29 doesn’t seem like much of a savings, but if you eat tacos about once a week (kids love tacos), your total savings for a year will be $15.08 J. I know this probably doesn’t seem like much to the average person, but every little bit helps. With this extra savings I am able to put a little extra towards my debt snowball (for those of you who are familiar with Dave Ramsey J. If you’re not, I HIGHLY recommend reading his book Financial Peace).